International Undergraduate Scholarships at the University of Westminster

free scholarships

International Undergraduate Scholarships

International Undergraduate Scholarships at the University of Westminster include full scholarships on the Westminster Full International Scholarship, University of Westminster Scindia Schools Scholarship (Scindia School India, or Scindia Kanya Vidvalaya) and Ken Bird Memorial Scholarship as well as full tuition fee scholarships, half tuition fee scholarships and part time fee scholarships.

Students must first apply for and be offered a place on an undergraduate course at the University of Westminster, only after you have a confirmed place can you apply for a scholarship, your need to apply for these scholarships by post to the university, of interest might be the part time fee scholarship as it's very rare to find part time course scholarships especially at the undergraduate level, the University of Westminster have several unique undergraduate scholarships for international and Study Abroad Students.

As well as the University of Westminster scholarships you may also be interested in other scholarship options from UK universities including the University of Birmingham, University of Bradford and Cambridge Universities Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Scholarships, for US based undergraduate scholarships consider Harvard University and for developing country scholarships consider the World Bank Scholarships.

Westminster Full International Scholarship

The Westminster Full International Scholarship is a scholarship that covers tuition fees, accommodation, food and living expenses and flights from your own country to London and back to your home country after studying. To qualify for this award you must be an international student from a developing country just like the World Bank Scholarships, basically all countries except the USA and Europe are considered developing countries for the purposes of this scholarship.

Each year your performance on the undergraduate course will be assessed and as long as you're continuing to show progress on the course your scholarship will be renewed for another year. The criteria for this award is both academic excellence and financial need so the student with the best school grades combined with the inability to pay for the students own education will win you the award, it's not a clear cut case of the best school grades wins the scholarship the student with the most financial need (who can't pay for the study themselves) and the best school grades is the student that will be chosen by the University of Westminster.

Developing Countries Scholarships

It's not just 'developing countries' that can apply for this scholarship but what the university calls 'middle income' countries, basically all countries but the richest European, Middle Eastern and US countries can apply.

It's important to note that students must apply for a place on the course and be accepted on the course before they can apply for the scholarship, it's not good enough to try to apply for the scholarship whilst you are waiting to hear if you have been offered a place as your scholarship application will not be considered (will not be read) unless you also have the offer of a place at the University of Westminster.

Whilst students need an admissions offer it does not matter whether it is an unconditional offer or a conditional offer as long as you have an offer from Westminster you can apply for a Westminster scholarship, a conditional offer means that you must achieve certain school grades in your examinations before the university place will be given to you and an unconditional offer means that Westminster University will accept you regardless of your school examination results.

Course offers usually take from four to six weeks to be made so your need to wait up to one and half months before your hear back from Westminster if you have been offered a place and only then can you apply for a scholarship, so leave plenty of time to apply for the course and then later apply for the scholarship. International undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for up to two different scholarship programmes at the same time, so you might not be offered your first choice of scholarship for example a full scholarship but might be offered a full tuition fee scholarship (without accommodation and travelling expenses) instead.

Apply For A Place On The Course Before You Apply For A Scholarship

For the half tuition fee scholarship and the part time scholarship fifty percent of the course fees are paid for with no help with accommodation or travel fees, for the full scholarship and full tuition fee only scholarships one hundred percent of the course fees are paid. Whilst international students can only apply for a maximum of two scholarships UK and European Union resident students can apply for any number of scholarships (applying for the scholarship is not a guarantee that you will receive the scholarship).

The Best Scholarships

The best scholarships (full tuition, food, living expenses and flights) attract more student applications than the part time scholarship awards, so realise that the full scholarships will be more competitive and only students with the best school grades will be awarded the scholarship, also consider that financial need is an important criteria for awarding the scholarship so if you can't show true financial need (poor) then you won't get the scholarship.

When you apply for a University of Westminster scholarship your need to complete the scholarship application form which will require that you provide some supporting documentation these documents include your University of Westminster offer letter or offer email offering you a conditional or unconditional place at university, your also need to include the official copy of your transcript from your most recent level of study and a reference letter supporting your application for a place at the University of Westminster.

Reference Letter Must Be Written By Your Former Tutor

The reference letter must be written by your former tutor, professor or employer and must not be the same reference that you used for your university application (the scholarship application is a different type of application to the university application). If the copy of your official documents is not in English your need to provide a certified copy of your documents, this is a copy of your documents translated into English and certified by a lawyer that the original own language document and the translated documents say the same thing.

The University of Westminster cannot return any of your supporting documentation so don't send original documents but make copies.

UK Based Students

If you're a UK based student looking to study fulltime at the University of Westminster you can apply through the UCAS system (Undergraduate Course Application System), UK students can apply for up to five courses at different universities and each university cannot see the other applications you have made through the UCAS system. There is an application fee for applying through UCAS and you can pay this fee online as you make your application. International students can get help in making their University if Westminster application from British Council offices around the world.

As well as meeting the minimum grades for a course of study at university your also need to show suitability for the course and this is demonstrated through other qualifications or experience that you can write about on your application form, for example if you are applying for a undergraduate law degree course to show that you have worked in a law firm (in any capacity) will show the course tutors that you have a genuine interest in the subject as you have chosen to seek work experience, when you apply for admission at Westminster the university might feel that you are more suited to a foundation degree to prepare you for further study, if this is the case your offer of a university place will be changed to show a foundation degree rather than an undergraduate degree.

Entrance Requirements

To meet the entrance requirements for a UK university your need these grades or their local country equivalent two GCE (General Certificate of Education) A-level (Advanced level) passes plus three GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) passes at grade C or above including Mathematics and English Language or you could have three GCE A-level passes plus two GCSE passes at grade C or above including English Language or Mathematics.

If you have Scottish qualifications your need five passes in the Scottish Certificate of Education with three at the higher grade (Scottish Highers) including English Language and Mathematics or you could have four passes in the Scottish Higher or Irish Higher Certificate of Education including English Language and Mathematics.

BTEC (Business Technician Education Council) qualifications also allow entry into an undergraduate degree in the UK with the Edexcel awarded BTEC qualifications at HND (Higher National Diploma) and HNC (Higher National Certificate) level (HND is a fulltime study course whilst the HNC is a part time study course) the exact number of distinctions, passes or merits you need for a particular undergraduate course will be listed in your offer letter from the University if Westminster.

It's not just A-levels and BTEC's that will get you onto a undergraduate degree course, you can also complete a foundation course (which is a direct entry into an undergraduate degree course) and the University of Westminster run several of these foundation courses for students who have passed the Access to HE (Higher Education) diploma with 45 credits at Level 3 and credit at merit and distinction (as listed in your offer letter) or you can gain access to an undergraduate degree by having a Welsh Baccalaureate or International Baccalaureate qualification.

International Students

Many international students won't have these qualifications to submit as entrance requirements because their own countries have different examinations, the University of Westminster will use these entrance requirements as a guide only and interpret the local country qualifications where the local qualification is equivalent to the UK entrance requirements, what this all means is that you can submit a copy of the qualifications you received in your local country and the University of Westminster will check to see if your qualifications are an equivalent to the normal UK entrance requirements, if they are equivalent your be given a place at university.

As well as educational qualifications the university will also interpret relevant work experience to see if this is equal to more formal entrance requirements, it could be that your work experience (the employment you have had) qualifies you for entrance onto an undergraduate degree, the university will decide this after having looked at a copy of your student transcript and qualifications or work experience.

The University of Westminster have welcomed international students to study in the UK for many years and so have become expert at understanding international qualifications and what their UK equivalents are, so contact the university and tell them about your qualifications for a free assessment on whether your qualifications are suitable for entrance into an undergraduate course.

All international students need what the university describe as a 'good standard of English' this is because all course work and classes are conducted in English so your need to be able to speak, write and read English to a good enough standard to participate in the class, if English is not your first language or your schooling was not in English then your need to sit an IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System), note if your school taught lessons in English you won't need to sit an IELTS exam.


Students will need a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or an equivalent English language qualification, some courses for example English literature or language based courses will require a higher standard of English than an IELTS 6.0 and the individual course offered at the University of Westminster will list any higher IELTS grades that are needed when you receive your offer letter.

Students looking to apply to the University of Westminster or obtain a scholarship from the University of Westminster do not need to sit the IELTS test until after they have been offered a place at the University of Westminster, so apply first and if you are successful on your course application and scholarship application then you can sit the IELTS test. Students may be asked by the university to sit a pre-course English language test before they take up their course at the University of Westminster, this is normally only required where a higher standard of English is required for a specific course (English based courses usually).

Mature Students

If you're a mature student without formal academic qualifications you can still apply to the University of Westminster as work experience, maturity and enthusiasm are all valued highly as a substitute for formal academic qualifications. Mature students will have to take a one year Access to Higher Education course run by the University of Westminster before entering into the undergraduate course.